I know I’m not the only one around here who experiences periods of stress, insomnia (creative brain!), and that has trouble relaxing. I’ve tried so many things over the years to combat anxiety and to attempt to help with what seemed like never ending sleepless nights – to no avail. It’s been a little over a year now since I started to expand on veganism, into the world of homeopathic medicine which led me to experiment with essential oils.
We absolutely cannot be healthy if we are not getting adequate sleep!
Getting enough sleep has been one of my biggest challenges in my journey towards creating balance in my life both physically and mentally. I have worked hard in trying to figure out how to get the rest I need in order to be the healiest version that I can be. I have gone from getting 3-5 restless hours (and going to bed as early at 6pm!) to getting a solid and nourishing 8 hours. I still have days when I struggle, but in all, my quality of sleep is much better and deeper than before, and the most helpful thing for me has been my use of essential oils.
I initially started using essential oils in the form of aromatherapy bath salts in a quest to wind down during an evening, and I was super happy with the results. Essential oils can be very effective for sleep; helping us bring our bodies back into balance, supporting our bodily systems, and helping to relax an over-stilumated mind.
Different oils have a different effect on different people, and you have to experiment to see which oils work best for you. I find that Lavendar and Ylang Ylang work before for me for sleep and anxiety and both have improved my sleep tremdously. I also really like Jasmine and Grapefruit as well as Roman Camomile. I alternate between diffusing Lavendar and Ylang Ylang and rubbing a diluted amount of the other three on my chest. I can’t tell you what a relief it is that I’m finally sleeping better!
Essential Oils For Sleep
Essential oils can be used both topically and through inhalation to improve the quality of sleep.
- The easiest way to receive the benefits of essential oils is through diffusing them. I have a cute little home diffuser that came with my starter kit I bought here. It disperses the essential oils molecules into the air and allows you to inhale them. The molecules of the essential oils are so small that they easily enter the olfactory nerves inside of your nose and into the limbic system, which is the seat of emotions in the body.
- If you do not have a diffuser, you can place a drop or 2 of essential oil in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup them around your nose and inhale deeply. Do this for several minutes. I have found this an effective way to use many of my sleep oils.
- Mix 3-6 drops of essential oil with epsom salt or baking soda and add to a hot bath water while tub is filling. Soak in bath for 20-30 minutes.
- Rub 1-2 drops on the temples and back of neck several times a day.
- Place a warm compress with 1-2 drops of chosen oil on the back.
My Top 9 Favourite Essential Oils for Sleep
→ Valerian – Calming to the nervous system and helps with restlessness.
→ Frankincense – Known to help slow down and regulate breathing which in turn, helps to reduce feelings of fear, nervous tension, stress, and anxiety.
→ Vetiver – Relaxes the nervous system and helps with overstimulation
→ Roman Chamomile – Has a warm, sweet, herbaceous scent that is relaxing and calming for both mind and body.
→ Lavender – Is said to ease tension and induce relaxation.
→ Ylang-Ylang – Has a relaxing scent that balances male and female energies. Its scent restores confidence and equilibrium and can be used to treat insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
→ Jasmine – Jasmine has a relaxing flowery scent that is known for its antispasmodic and uplifting properties.
→ Wild Orange – Just as all the other citrus fruits, orange has a refreshing, energizing, and mood lifting effect.
→ Sandalwood – Sandalwood’s comforting scent has sedative properties that can help you to ease tension and fight inner stress.
Do you have any experience with essential oils? What is your favourite blend?